Minecraft servers play a significant role in online games. It permits both the players to play the games with each other through online mode or LAN local area network. These servers are having multiple archetypes differentiated by unique rules & regulations, features, and societal structures of games which are implemented by them. No two Minecraft servers are same, and line which is between of archetypes is indistinguishable.
Virtual Private Server (VPS)
Virtual private server (VPS), as its name suggests, it is an imaginary machine or server whose services are offered to clients by various web hosting companies. VPS possess their own copy of OS and runs the same at their level. It allows their clients to access the OS at super level thereby permits them to install almost any kind of software which is compatible with that OS. VPS are easy to build and can be configured to in a user-friendly way are equivalent to a dedicated physical server. However, they are cost effective as compared to equivalent server.
Setting up a Minecraft Server on VPS
In order to Setup a Minecraft Server on VPS, following steps are required to be followed:
- First step requires a copy of Minecraft server, which User can get from URL https://minecraft.net.
- Next, User is, required to get a Setup of VPS. Once user gets it, needed to SSH it by following;
- Now user is required to install Java JRE from java.com, for this follow;
rpm -Uvh FilenameOfJavaDownload.rpm
- Next, a Minecraft server is required, and requirement to manage the same. For this, McMyAdmin program is suggested. McMyAdmin is a utility for administration as well as a web interface for Minecraft Survival Multiplayer (SMP) servers. It allows clients to monitor the status of servers, interact with users, planning the events, manage restrictions/permissions, do updates and more. It’s quite easy to get this and how it runs is given here.
- First Minecraft 2 Supplemental files as root is required to download, for this follow;
Now If a user is a non-root, follow this:
User must enter the following command to run the server;
./MCMA2_Linux_x86_64 -configonly -setpass NEWADMINPASSWORD
Now If User wants to run the server in background at the time when user exit their SSH Session so that it
emains there, used the following screen to perform this;
McMyAdmin by default, listens on loopback server address, 127.0.0.1:8080. Moreover, to connect with the same, a port over ssh to the server is required to forward by the user from their local machine.
Ssh -f user@IPADDRESSOFSERVER -L 8080: IPADDRESSOFSERVER:8080 -N
- If all is going well as user wants, administrative interface can be accessed him. Now he is required to login using the username and password admin/admin given by default. For this, a given URL needs to be open in a web browser and a screen appears http://127.0.0.1:8080
- After being logged on, server can be configured by the user. When local Minecraft application is started by the user, at the time of play, user must choose the multiplayer and then IP address of VPS must be added and connect.
As every user is not techno-friendly unable to go through all this trouble, so in that case, McMyAdmin easily with Zoomcloud.net. Moreover, VPS preloaded with Minecraft, can be ordered by the user.
There is a user-friendly process of ordering Minecraft Game Servers. If silder can be used a Minecraft VPS server can be ordered, up and running in just a few minutes.
Process of Installing and running Minecraft on a VPS
Process should begin with installation of Java’s latest version following by screen to access the console as and when required.
Following commands need to run
wget -O BuildTools.jar
java -jar BuildTools.jar
java -Xmx2G -Dmac.supported=true -jar BuildTools.jar
rm -f BuildTools.jar
Next, Spigot Service must be started in a screen session by the following command;
screen -S spigot
java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar spigot.jar
After being started, User must press Ctrl+a+d in order to detach from screen.
Now, by running the following command, User may reattach to the console;
screen -r spigot
Now following commands are required to run;
wget -O minecraft_server.jar
Before using Minecraft, eula.txt file must be edited by user by changing false to true.
Now begin the Minecraft service in a screen session;
screen -S Minecraft
java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar
Moreover, again after being started, to detach from screen, user must press ctrl+a+d.
Moreover, again to reattach to the console, following should be run:
screen -r Minecraft